We can be rough on our clothing, after all we live in them. Here are some useful clothing and dry cleaning tips to help us keep your clothing looking its very best as long as possible.
- Having your clothes cleaned frequently will actually prolongs their life. Soil and stains left too can be impossible to remove and will cause abrasion of the fabric – wearing out the fibers.
- Point out ANY stains when dropping off your dry cleaning. Be especially sure to point out light-colored or invisible spills such as from soft drinks or white wine. These stains contain sugar, which can caramelize and turn brown with the heat of drying unless flushed out before dry cleaning.
- Bring your garments in to us for care as soon possible after staining occurs.
- Avoid letting your garments come in contact with products containing alcohol such as perfumes, hair spray, colognes and lotions. When these products dry they are invisible and will leave spots after being cleaned. Always apply these products before getting dressed and allow them to dry.
- Never iron stained or soiled clothing, this only sets the stain.
- Do not store your clothing in plastic bags. Fabrics, especially natural ones like cotton and linen need to breathe. Keep the paper shoulder covers on clothing if your are storing them for the season. This will keep dust and damaging light off your garment.
- If possible, try to have matching garments cleaned together. This applies to clothing as well as to household items such as bedspreads, pillow shams and draperies. After many washes, this will insure one piece of your garment doesn’t fade quicker than the other.