Durable, beautiful, comfortable, and timeless, linen is the perfect fabric for summer. Not only is it breathable and cool, but it’s resistant to bacteria and gets softer with age. From bedding to clothing to a beautiful linen tablecloth, if you know how to care for it you can keep your favorite summer things in good shape for years to come.
- To wash your linen sheets and clothing, start by checking the label. Your linen fabric may actually be a blend of more than one kind of fiber. If it is linen determine whether it’s washable and if it needs hand washing or can be washed in a machine. To machine wash, use the gentle cycle and wash in cold or lukewarm water, with similar lightweight fabrics, in a mild detergent. Don’t use fabric softener, bleach, or detergent with a whitening agent, because those products can damage the fibers.
- If your linen has stains, spot clean them. Overcleaning linen can shorten its lifespan, so just dab on some dish soap and rinse with cool water. For really stubborn stains, use baking soda with a few drops of vinegar and then wash in cold water.
- Don’t dry linen with high heat. Linen benefits from natural drying, so if possible, lay if flat over a drying rack to dry, avoiding clothespins because they can stretch and deform the garment. If you need to machine dry it, tumble dry on low and remove it promptly.
- Linen can be ironed to remove wrinkles and make it crisp. While the fabric is still a little bit damp, press it with medium heat. For dark fabrics, turn the garment inside out, first. If the material is dry, use a steamer or the steam setting on the iron. If the wrinkles are stubborn, lay a damp, light-colored t-shirt over the garment before running a warm iron set to steam over it.
- At the end of the season, store your linen properly. Don’t wrap it in plastic, but store clean, dry linen somewhere cool and dry. Slatted wooden shelves are the best option, because they’ll allow air to circulate and keep your linen fresh. Store linen pieces flat to keep them from wrinkling and creasing.
To give your linen some special care, bring it to Orlando Cleaners, where you can be confident that you’ll receive impeccable service and meticulous attention to detail. We deliver customized care to meet your individual needs, and we offer a 100% guarantee that your items will be clean and ready for you when you arrive. We use state-of-the-art equipment and the latest technology, to ensure our services are of the highest quality available. If you’re looking for a dry cleaner with a culture of friendliness, positivity, and eco-consciousness, trust the industry experts at Orlando Cleaners. Feel free to contact us through our website or call 407-992-8561 for more information.